Breaking

Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Open: Rory McIlroy happy with performance after finishing two back

Rory McIlroy reflected on what could have been as his bid for a first major for almost four years came up just short at The 147th Open.
McIlroy attempted to shroud his outrage after he came up short two of the keep going three gaps late on Saturday to slip four shots off the lead going into the last round, and he seemed to be out of the pursuing dropped shots at the second and fifth on day four.
He resuscitated his expectations with birdies at nine and 11 preceding giving one back at the following, yet he all of a sudden ended up in a tie for the lead with possible champ Francesco Molinari when he holed a mammoth putt for hawk at the long fourteenth which pulled him to six under.
 Rory McIlroy finished two shots behind the champion
The 2014 champion kept himself in contention with battling par saves over the next three holes, and a perfect three-wood set up a great birdie chance with the wedge in hand at the last.
In any case, McIlroy's approach missed the mark and right, and his 20-foot birdie putt to outperform Justin Rose as clubhouse pioneer was shy of pace, despite the fact that he demanded he was content with his 70 in testing conditions on the last day.
"I'm not so much baffled, I played well," said the 29-year-old, who completed tied for second with Rose, Kevin Kisner, and Xander Schauffele, two strokes unfastened of Molinari. "I believed I could have crushed one more out of the round today.
 McIlroy vaulted into contention with an eagle at the 14th
"When I made the eagle on 14, it was tough to get close on 15, 16, and 17. The only real chance was at the last, but I came out of the wedge a little bit, but still left myself a putt where it was holeable.
"Be that as it may, I think anything under standard out there today was a decent score. I'm content with how I played after I didn't get off to an incredible begin, however, I kept it together and I combat back. I simply kind of came up short on gaps toward the end.
"At the point when the hawk putt went in on 14, I believed I could get maybe a couple out of these last four openings, however it was simply extreme. Where they put the pins and with the breezes, it was difficult to get them close and intense to make birdies.

No comments:

Post a Comment